Re: [orca-list] Espeak low fidelity on Linux?

I'm on it. Because speech-dispatcher works just a bit differently, not
properly exposing voice variants to Orca users, it is necessary to
combine the voice you want to use with the variant you want to use,
change the voice name in the file and save it as a new voice. Then the
voice+variant becomes a person in Orca's list once speech-dispatcher is
killed and Orca is restarted. I have a website up that will bring
together NVDA's variants, Espeak's original variants such as the Klatt
and female variants and user submissions into a single
espeak-extra-voices package that will copy them into the correct
location automatically to make them available in Orca's person list.
Incidentally, tests have shown that they will also show up in the voice
list available in the latest ChromeVox versions as well. I don't yet
have a tarball or any distro-specific packages, but the website is up
and ready for my packages once I pull everything together. I also intend
to make these available in at least the coming Sonar PPA as well as the
Arch User Repository. It may take me some time to get it all working and
put where it needs to be, and it is a bit of a work-around that will
hopefully be largely unnecessary in later versions of Orca and
speech-dispatcher, but I do hope to have something usable up soon, at
least with the NVDA, Klatt and female variants, at least for the English
languages, with requests for additional language+variant voices being
added as needed.
~Kyle
http://kyle.tk/
--