Re: [orca-list] Espeak low fidelity on Linux?

There is not yet a working page on the website with a link to Max, but
it is up for both UK and US English voices. The best method of getting
these for now is to login as root and cd to the directory where your
Espeak voices are stored, usually /usr/share/espeak-data/voices. Then
paste the wget commands below into your terminal.

UK English Max
wget http://espeak-extra-voices.tk/voices/en-max
US English Max
wget http://espeak-extra-voices.tk/voices/en-us-max

I also have two of the Klatt variants up for the US English voice. I
think Klatt4 is the best balance between good quality and fast speech
without becoming muffled or choppy.

US English Klatt2
wget http://espeak-extra-voices.tk/voices/en-us-klatt2
US English Klatt4
wget http://espeak-extra-voices.tk/voices/en-us-klatt4

And the en+f2 variant consolidated for a decent female voice, although
this one played a tiny bit choppy on my system at one point, sort of
divided in to regularly sized chunks of about 4 seconds each, but here
it is for anyone who wants to test it.

English Female
wget http://espeak-extra-voices.tk/voices/en-female

Once you have the voices copied into your Espeak voice directory, you
can logout of your root shell. Be sure you are in a terminal at a
command prompt, and then to the following exactly in this order:

* quit orca normally
* type or copy/paste the command
pkill -9 speech-dispatch
* Start Orca using either a GNOME shortcut key of your choice or by
entering orca in the run window.

Once these steps are complete, you will be able to select all the voices
you downloaded from the person combo box in the Voice tab in Orca
preferences.

Once again, this is just a work-around, and my website is not complete;
it doesn't even hav a tarball for all the voice files to be downloaded
at once. However, it will soon be possible to go to the voices section
on the website, copy the links and wget them into the directory of
Espeak voices, and this procedure will work quite well until Orca and
speech-dispatcher can see variant files such as the ones included with
Espeak. Hope this helps.
~Kyle
http://kyle.tk/
--