Re: [orca-list] Heads up, Ubuntu 13.04 does NOT use GNOME 3.8.

According to Jason White:
# My understanding is that Gnome 3.8 requires Systemd, whereas Ubuntu uses
# Upstart. Debian, on the other hand, provides Systemd as an option and
I read a
# blog post stating that it will be required for Gnome 3.8 once those
packages
# enter Debian unstable following the upcoming release in early May.

You're absolutely right. I didn't even consider the systemd requirement
and what it would mean for Ubuntu, as I have been using Arch for the
last couple of years, and Arch has already been using systemd since
roughly September 2012. I also read similar information stating that
GNOME would eventually require systemd, but I honestly didn't think it
would happen as soon as 3.8.

# Fedora, Arch and OpenSuse all use Systemd now too.

That's pretty much all the big names, and I expect many other GNU/Linux
distributions will probably follow. Ubuntu has too much time and effort
invested in Upstart though, since they've been using and improving it
since Ubuntu was a new kid on the block. It really does make for some
interesting times ahead.

# As a result, it appears that the Ubuntu Gnome maintainers will have
# compatibility work ahead.

Good luck. As I mentioned, Ubuntu has a lot of resources invested in
Upstart. The major concern then would be whether or not it's better to
adopt systemd, thereby ditching all that work, to try to make GNOME
compatible with Upstart and any helper components that would be needed
to make that happen, or to try to add a compatibility layer to Upstart
that would make it do what GNOME needs systemd to do. Of course the
other alternative would be to fork the GNOME components needed for
Ubuntu. But none of these are my call to make, and we will need to see
what Canonical decides is the best thing to do given the circumstances.
All these options have their advantages and disadvantages, but we can
only speculate at this time what will ultimately happen between now and
the next LTS release. Either way, very interesting times are definitely
ahead.
~Kyle
http://kyle.tk/
--