Re: [orca-list] Espeak voice variations are not displayed in Orca preferences dialog.

Hello Luke,

On 11/27/12, Luke Yelavich <themuso ubuntu com> wrote:
Orca doesn't support these variations because speech-dispatcher doesn't
support these variations, and I don't think speech-dispatcher's current
architecture allows such variations to easily be supported and offered to
clients. I agree this would be nice to have, but it requires someone to do
the work to extend speech-dispatcher and make this available to
speech-dispatcher clients.

You may be right. The problem isn't just exclusive to ESpeak. I've
noticed with Eloquence, AKA Voxin, that only one voice, Reed, is
supported. I can't get Orca to use the other voices Grandpa, Grama,
Sandy, Bobby, etc and a look at the Eloquence driver for Speech
Dispatcher shows that its incomplete. It appears to just grab the
default voice, Reed in this case, and then passes it onto the client
such as Orca. It sounds to me like someone needs to take Speech
Dispatcher and update the synth drivers one by one and have it expose
the different voices to clients so Orca can use them. Sounds like a
great winter project to work on when the snow piles up here in the Mid
West and I'm going to be stuck inside for a few days/weeks. :D