Re: [orca-list] Sonar 12.10 is out

I'm not sure what is going on with Ubuntu 12.10 and its derivatives that would cause such crashing issues, but at this point, it does appear to be specific to Ubuntu. Gnome is working extremely well in Arch so far, and this includes 3.6, with the exception of the dash, and 3.6.2. Having said this, Arch isn't for everyone, because it takes a knowledge of the command line to get through the initial installation process. On the other hand, its package management system and user repository just can't be beat for simplicity and ease of use, and it even supports packagekit, which is accessible to Orca, and looks somewhat similar to Synaptic, and to a lesser degree, the Ubuntu Software Center. The rolling release schedule of Arch is even a bit ahead of Debian Unstable in some ways, so it would indeed make a great distro for a bleeding edge out-of-the-box accessible GNU/Linux experience, with the exception of the installer, which has no graphical components, and even no curses style interface at this time, which will still be an issue for newcomers to Linux-based operating systems, until or unless an accessible graphical installer can be written. That would, however, require more specialized work, i.e. writing a graphical installation system completely from scratch, than something like Sonar or Vinux being based on Ubuntu with the Ubiquity installer already included and working very well with Orca from the live media. Having said all this, although I don't feel confident about writing an entire graphical installer from scratch, I certainly wouldn't mind making a virtual machine available somewhere that includes an already installed Arch with GNOME for testing the latest accessibility features and such, assuming of course that there's enough interest for something like this. I also don't mind spinning a live Arch derivative with GNOME installed and a great new installation method, but this would require both an interest in such a spin and lots and lots of community participation to get it off the ground and flying.
~Kyle
http://kyle.tk