Re: [orca-list] some questions about Orca

Hi Harold,

Some answers below.

  On 5/23/2012 2:20 PM, Harold wrote:

"Coming from jaws and voice over some of the language is different in the Orca manual. What is flat review used for?"

Flat review is similar to the Jaws cursor or Invisible cursor. You are able to review areas of the screen not accessible through tabbing around the screen or via the normal arrow keys, and can act as a virtual mouse.

"Is there a say all command for Orca, I thought it was Orca ; but this does not work."

Yes. For full sized keyboards use the plus key on the numpad. If you are using a laptop you can use the capslock key with the semi-colon.

"How do I change the synthesizer? I tried installing Festival but it does not come up in the list of choices under Preferences."

That's probably because it is commented out by default in your speech-dispatcher configuration. If you go into your speech-dispatcher conf file and uncomment the line for Festival support it should show up in Orca preferences as an optional synth. However, be advised that Festival has some issues with pulse audio, and will require some playing around with it to get it to work with Orca on newer Linux operating systems.

Cheers!