Re: [orca-list] Proposal: Eliminate the "gui setup" command line options

Hey Paul, all.

On 05/11/2012 04:54 PM, Paul Hunt wrote:
Hi,

So Orca -s

makes Orca enter setup even if a settings directory exists.

It's useful if you change something in the Orca preferences which then
makes it difficult for you to go back into the preferences and reverse
it. For example, if you change to a different synth that then refuses to
work.

You can always delete your settings directory but running orca -s is
easier.

As an experiment, I cranked my rate up to 100% and switched to Spanish.
I saved my settings, quit Orca, and then did an Orca -s. Orca came up
and the preferences dialog appeared, but everything continued to be
presented in that "broken" setting. So Orca -s in its current form is no
different than getting into the Preferences dialog through the other means.

That is probably a bug, but it's in the stable (3.4) branch as well. And
that got me to thinking, I wonder how far back this bug has been around
given that no one has complained? It's present in 3.0.5pre at least....
Hard for me to go back much earlier in F18/rawhide....

Anyhoo, as for the rest of them:

* I went ahead and nuked orca -q/-f. As a reminder to all, pkill and
  pkill -9 can be used to kill Orca -- just like any other app.

* The forced showing of the preferences gui when there are no
  saved preferences has been removed on the basis that there are
  other ways to get into the preferences and everyone shipping Orca
  is already blocking the forced gui.

* Having removed the forced setup, the option to bypass something which
  no longer exists has no purpose. So that's next on the chopping block.

So now we just need to figure out what value there is in keeping Orca -s
(which is broken) around.

Back to bigger issues tomorrow..... <smiles>

Take care.
--joanie