Re: [orca-list] Proposal: Eliminate the "gui setup" command line options

On 05/11/2012 04:54 PM, Paul Hunt wrote:
Hi,

So Orca -s

makes Orca enter setup even if a settings directory exists.

It's useful if you change something in the Orca preferences which then
makes it difficult for you to go back into the preferences and reverse
it. For example, if you change to a different synth that then refuses to
work.

I will acknowledge that is a reasonable enough use case. but as you stated:

I suppose you can still run text setup though.

Yup.

Alternatively you can do a -u to specify a different user dir because
you may want to know the answer to how the heck you borked your settings
in the first place. So -u to specify some location which doesn't have
settings, then Orca + Space to get into prefs, change what you want,
then diff the old and the new.

BTW, I have no desire to get rid of -u. I like the -u. And the rest of
our options strike me as worthwhile. It's just the 101 different ways to
bring up the GUI that I'm questioning. <smiles>

As far as I remember, the main use of the --no-setup option was to
enable Orca to be started in enviroments where no user settings folder
would exist.

And more recently by GNOME to prevent the prefs dialog from being seen
even in your own session if you start Orca automatically. BTW, this is
another reason why the removal of the -n would be paired with the
removal of the code that pops up the preferences automatically.

Like on the login screen. If this is no longer necessary

Like I said, by preventing the dialog from ever popping up
automatically, there would be no need for the -n.

then I see no reason why not to scrap that option. Or am I completely
wrong on that one? I never really looked into how accessible login works.

It's on the 3.6 to-do list (of gnome-shell and other developers and
designers).

As an aside, I think an easy way to make Orca revert to some "factory"
settings might be useful as a recovery option.

You can already accomplish that via -u to generate new settings at the
specified location. If you are asking for a gui option to do so, we can
add it to Felipe's list for consideration.

Take care.
--joanie