Re: [orca-list] Ubuntu 12.10 and beyond, Unity 2D will no longer be maintained.

The evolution of software is linked to the evolution of hardware.
For example, GNOME Shell uses relatively primitive 3D
capabilities that have been available from essentially all
computing devices made in the last five years . No using such
capabilities means not delivering a user experience according
to the potential that the machines provide. My machine at work
is nearly 7 years old and I have also an atom N270 netbook r
unning both Gnome 3 with that in a more than adequate way.

I think that, at least in part, this movement from GNOME and
Unity of using these capabilities have helped to improve the
support of many graphic card drivers and now it is  even
possible to have software rendering.

Developing two separate code paths for accelerated and
non-accelerated graphics is a large increase in development
resources. The transition was not easy, but we should
appreciate whe have been provided ways to alleviate the
transition, with the fallback mode in GNOME and Unity 2D.
But both of them are only temporally workarounds, the real
solution should be alaways provided in the main path of
development. I must confess I wasn't aware of the
transitional status of Unity 2D, mainly because it was started
from the scratch, but it makes sense that Canonical doesn't
have resources for both paths.

GNOME Shell is quite accessible right now, and we can only
expect getting better, and I'm glad to hear that Luke keeps
committed in making Unity accessible and I'm sure he will
get it.

Cheers,

    -- Juanjo Marin