Re: [orca-list] Ubuntu 12.10 and beyond, Unity 2D will no longer be maintained.

On Wed, May 09, 2012 at 10:02:15PM PDT, Krishnakant Mane wrote:
Hi Luke,
So are we at least sure that Unity 2D will at least be maintained
for the next 6 months?

I don't know, you would have to ask the members of the Unity 2D team at canonical.

In that case we will have enough to use for next year or so on
stable production machines.

Ubuntu 12.04 LTs is supported on the desktop for 5 years. This means that important fixes and security
updates will be made to Unity 3D and 2D for the next 5 years. Where possible, this will include accessibility
fixes.

Talking about Vinux, I am just curious if we will have a ppa for 2D?
May be some one can then take up the job of maintaining it?

Vinux 4 will be based on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, so Unity 2D will be supported by Canonical for the next 5 years,
likely longer than Vinux 4 will be supported.

Lastly, if we have Vinux 4, will we get all future accessibility
fixes to other software like thunderbird etc, even though Unity 2d
might be kept constant?

Thunderbird and Firefox will be updated to the latest stable relesaes during the 5 year support lifecycle of
Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. For Vinux 4, I will do my best to make sure we have the latest orca and other necessary
accessibility stack code so that users can take advantage of the latest accessiblity fixes in thunderbird and
firefox, for the length of the Vinux 4 support lifecycle.

Luke