Re: [orca-list] Accessibility Testing in Ubuntu 12.04

Hello Jason,

"I don't know what the reasons were, but Shuttleworth et al., decided to write
their own alternative to Gnome-Shell instead of contributing to Gnome 3. If
you don't like it, you can always switch to a different distribution or
install Gnome packages for Ubuntu."

True, but its the principle of the thing that has me concerned. I thought that many Linux distributions, including Ubuntu, adopted Gnome because it was section 508 compliant, and that it provided the most accessibility for people with disabilities. I chose Ubuntu precisely because it was the most accessible distribution, and its easy to install and use. Now, though, it seems their priorities have changed and they traded accessibility for a flashier GUI. It feels to me like a betrayal.

As for switching distributions that's always a possibility, but so far none seem to satisfy me like Ubuntu did. I've looked at Debian, Arch, and have considered going back to Fedora but none are Ubuntu. In short, what I want is a distribution that is equal to Ubuntu, has the same exact setup, etc but uses Gnome instead of Unity. I suppose at this point Vinux is my best bet because at least accessibility is configured out of the box and even if I have to live with Unity I won't have to configure access from scratch.

Cheers!