From: orca-list-bounces gnome org [mailto:orca-list-bounces gnome org] On
Behalf Of Kirk Reiser
Sent: Tuesday, July 10, 2012 7:45 AM
To: Thomas Ward
Cc: orca-list
Subject: Re: [orca-list] the speakupmodified dists from speakupmodified.org

I believe you are absolutely right in your message below except for one
fact.  It is not that emacs or vi chose to be different than the norm.  When
they were written they were the norm.  This is a point that so many newbies
either forget or never learned.  The editors and other applications such as
emacs came long before Microsoft ever dreamed of Windows or even DOS.  DOS
was a cheap immitation of the Unix type shell only poorer, a lesser cousin
if you will.

They could not choose to be different because there was nobody to be
different from except other unknowns by todays standards such a teco and
redit etc.

   Kirk