Re: [orca-list] [Fwd: Re: Proposal: Remove the emacspeak suppport]

Joanmarie Diggs:

Actually, after some thought it appears to me that removing Emacspeak
support wouldn't probably be that harmful for its users as long as
you keep speechserver.SpeechServer interface functioning. One could
then just place modules with Emacspeak support somewhere on sys.path
and load them in his/her orca customizations script.

JD> Really? That would make me happy. And it might be an awesome and
JD> appropriate compromise. Please give that some serious thought and if
JD> it indeed seems like this will not pose any issues we can remove it
JD> and we can add some documentation.

Well, theoretically you should know better since you better know
internals of Orca. But it seems for me that it must be enough to simply
move espeechfactory.py, dectalk.py, and outloud.py to some location on
sys.path, and add into orca-customizations.py something like

import orca.settings as opts
opts.speechFactoryModules += "espeechfactory"

Of course, this needs to be checked in practice. I am planning to
install Orca from git sources and check. This will require some time.
Forgive me for my slowness.

 It would be even easier if Orca had support for system-wide
customization scripts in special directory, say, /etc/orca.d. Third
party extensions could then easily add customization snippets there
in order to load and set up themselves.

JD> Hmmmm.... That's a pretty interesting idea. Would you mind also opening
JD> a bug/rfe for that kind of support?

Sure. When I will get better understanding of Orca loading process and
how to better implement such a feature. But if you already know what it
should look like, please feel free to go ahead.

--
Dmitri Paduchikh