Re: [orca-list] [Fwd: Re: Proposal: Remove the emacspeak suppport]

On Thu, 2012-01-05 at 22:03 +0600, Dmitri Paduchikh wrote:
Sticking to old versions of Orca (and GNOME, probably) would be
undesirable for everyone, I think, and we are not exception.

From what I have heard discussed on this list, it is getting
progressively more difficult to use hardware synthesizers on systems you
can just "go out and buy." At the same time, running the current GNOME
on older hardware is becoming progressively more difficult. If this is
indeed the case, then using the latest GNOME might, as a side effect,
mean giving up the use of the hardware synthesizers. I dunno....

 Will
removing Emacspeak support right now help to solve some real problems
with Orca 3.4 or it can wait for some time?

Is there a third choice? <smiles>

Lemme put it this way: If we keep it, then I am going to need lots of
testing when I completely redo the presentation support in Orca because
I'm very likely going to break stuff given that I am converting code I
didn't write and have little-to-no practical means of testing. And if
it's completely broken, it's of no more use than if it is not even
there. So if the Russian Linux community wants to step forward and help
me on that front, I am willing to keep it around.

I still feel, however, that independent of Orca, it makes good sense to
see this support added to speech-dispatcher.

Take care.
--joanie