Re: [orca-list] Ubuntu 11.10 & Gnome

Also, if you install Ubuntu 11.10 by pressing control+s when you hear
the drums to bring up Orca then the accessibility profile will be used
and the default desktop will be Unity 2D, which is QT based.

Another way of switching to Unity 2D after you've installed ubuntu 11.10
is to do the following:

manually editing the text file
that controls what light dm uses.  It's in /var/lib/AccountServices
and it's name is the same as your username when you log into your
account.  Use nano or gedit or whatever you like and go to the line
that asks you what x-session you want to use.  Replace ubuntu with
ubuntu-2d, save and exit file  and you should be set.