Re: [orca-list] Ubuntu 11.10 & Gnome

The default Unity Desktop is based on Gnome 3, so all Ubuntu is
replacing is the Gnome 3 Shell.  I haven't played around with the
Gnome 3 Shell yet.  Does anyone here know it's current a11y status?
The version I'm using when in Ubuntu Oneiric right now is the Unity 2D
version, based on Qt, rather than GTK.  It's a bit more accessible
currently than the GTK based Unity, and quite a bit faster.  The panel
icons talk, which is my favorite enhancement over the Gnome 2 Shell so
far, though I also like that I hit the super key, type a couple
letters and hit enter, and I'm running an app.  Common applications I
launch with super+number.  I find this much easier than navigating
menus by keyboard.  It took a while to get used to hitting F10 to get
to the top panel, though.  I require use of the Compiz magnifier.  Can
compiz be used with the Gnome 3 Shell?  I'd read that it does not work
with either Gnome 3 Shell or Unity, but the article was wrong about
Unity.  I've noticed some lag in Unity lately due I think to the
switch to D-Bus with at-spi2, but it's not that bad, and hopefully the
D-Bus latency can be reduced.  Other features I like in Unity are due
to being low vision, rather than blind.  This desktop looks like it
wants to run on touch tablets, so it's assuming a 10" screen, and
therefore eliminates a ton of clutter.  For guys with great vision,
Unity will look rather plain.  The top panel has the active
application's menus, the system menu, and notification tray.
Everything else disappears, leaving almost all of the screen free for
use by the application.  This is pretty nice for magnifier users on
laptops.

If anyone can give a summary of the Gnome 3 Shell a11y, I'd very much
appreciate it.  I read there's a guy named Benjamen doing a lot of
a11y related code in the GTK core.  Are there any a11y upgrades in the
Gnome 3 Shell over Gnome 2 Shell?

Thanks,
Bill