Re: [orca-list] Have again problems with Gtk Check boxes?

Mike Gorse <mgorse alum wpi edu> wrote:
Atk defines the interfaces that toolkits/widgets use on the
application side to expose themselves to an AT. At-spi2-atk
implements atk-bridge, which bridges ATK and AT-SPI (ie, exposes ATK
objects over D-Bus and sends events over D-Bus).

My understanding (which may be inaccurate) of the rationale for the design is
this: if accessibility isn't enabled, then at-spi2-atk isn't loaded and
toolkits can call ATK functions without incurring the performance cost of
sending out D-Bus messages.

Also, by separating ATK from at-spi2-atk, it's possible to change the latter
without affecting the former, and therefore without requiring toolkits and
applications to be updated. We saw this in the transition from AT-SPI 1 to
AT-SPI 2, when ATK and code relying on it didn't need to be updated when the
ATK to AT-SPI bridge was replaced by the new AT-SPI 2 version.