Re: [orca-list] Why Orca navigation algorithms are not supporting Clickable embedded Adobe flash player objects?

Alex, you probably are receiving this twice. I apologize. I sent the reply from my phone and realized too late that I needed to change the email address to send my reply to the list.

From what I've read, the main problem with Flash accessibility and Orca appears to be with the Linux version of Flash itself rather than a problem with Orca or Firefox. Therefore, there is little or nothing that the Orca devs can do to make it work until, or rather unless Adobe decides to do something about the lack of accessibility of their Linux Flash player, notwithstanding the fact that Flash accessibility even on Windows is dismal at best. For this, as well as other technical reasons, I still recommend using open standards, which also avoids forcing users of a website into vendor lock-in. Free and open standards are a big win for everyone, from developers to end users in general, and especially users of the new breed of free and open source assistive technologies such as Orca and NVDA.

On the other hand, in my previous email, I did suggest working with the Gnash and/or Lightspark devs to make either or both of those free and open source Flash replacements accessible to Orca, because I do recognize that some web designers are either unwilling or unable, due to various circumstances that are likely beyond their control, to present their content using free open standards. Whereas there is little or nothing that can be done to make the proprietary Flash player work correctly on Linux, not to mention making it work with Orca, Lightspark and Gnash, being open source, can be easily adapted and improved so that while Flash is still being deployed on a regular basis, users of Orca will be able to more easily access a majority of Flash content.
~Kyle