Re: [orca-list] Is anyone using Orca with Emacspeak? And does speech-dispatcher support hardware synths?

Hello,
I too would like to be able to use my hardware synth with orca, but I think it will be some time for me to see mine supported as its an apollo.

My personal feeling is that if this support should really be anywhere it probably should be in speech-dispatcher. As I remember speech-dispatcher did have a module for the apollo some time ago, but I think the developers removed it as they had difficulty in getting the apollo to work well (as my memory goes, the issue is more to do with the apollo rather than supporting a hardware synth in general). I would imagine to get the synth to work well you probably need to write a specific module for it rather than just adapting the generic module.

Why do I think speech-dispatcher is the right place than just make the emacspeak interface in orca work better? In short I think speech-dispatcher is used by more projects. If multiple applications try and access the same serial device (certainly in the case of my apollo) this can make the first one stop working (eg. if I am using speakup with my apollo and then use emacspeak with my apollo I will need to reload the speakup module).

Michael Whapples