Re: [orca-list] Structural HTML navigation by lists

Hey Marcus, all.

Currently I have implemented menus for all structural objects using the
structural navigation shortcuts.

Orca+Ctrl+A pop-ups a menu with all anchors
Orca+Ctrl+Q pop-ups a menu with all blockquotes
Orca+Ctrl+B pop-ups a menu with all buttons

[snip]

Did you do this through automatic generation, or hard-binding? In other words, consider the following two examples:

1. A user decides to change all of the Structural Navigation keybindings so that the letters used correspond with the first letter of the element name in his/her native language. So, maybe anchors is now T and Shift+T. It would be nice if the user didn't have to also rebind all the lists; instead Orca+Ctrl+T should automatically just become the binding for a list of anchors. (As an aside, such an approach would presumably also address the case where users don't want to have bindings for lists of structural navigation elements at all. They could just disable the list functionality through a single setting and those bindings would never come into existence.)

2. A new structural navigation type gets added: Spelling errors. This new magical object allows you to jump amongst words flagged as misspelled. It would be really cool if -- without any additional code or bindings changes -- one could obtain a list of spelling errors in a dialog.

FWIW, back when I was playing with all this myself -- giving up (temporarily) due to the speed issue you and Attila mentioned on large pages -- I merely had made some minor additions to the structural navigation code which made it possible to list any object type. It also used the existing 'label guess' code (currently in Gecko, in the process of being cleaned up and pulled out of Gecko so any module can use it, e.g. Orca's WebKitGtk support) for guessing the labels of unlabeled form fields.

Take care.
--joanie