Re: [orca-list] Alternative to Ubuntu?

Craig Blake <cmb1589 gmail com> wrote:
Well overall in my search Debian has popped out more so than others.

Any idea about Fedora or CentOS - the Red Hat side? and if there's
anything more you could tell me about Debian, from the Orca point of
view and experience?

Fedora moved to Gnome 3 as of their latest release, including AT-SPI 2, if I
recall correctly. I don't run Fedora; I'm only basing this on what I've read
elsewhere. Thus if you want to delay the move to Gnome 3, you would choose
Fedora 14.

I run Debian on both my desktop and laptop systems. I would suggest running
either the testing or unstable distributions of Debian to keep up with
software upgrades, including Orca upgrades. Debian Experimental has Orca
3.0.4, which I expect will move into the Unstable and thereafter the testing
distribution at some point.

Packages for AT-SPI 2 are under development and already available in
experimental for people who want to participate in finding and fixing bugs.

I installed the version of Orca currently in experimental, which has been
reliable so far. However, I do 99% of my work from the Linux console (i.e.,
the shell, Emacs, console-based tools etc.), so I don't use Orca frequently -
it's mostly there to provide Web access.