Re: [orca-list] I would like your feedback regarding a Yelp 3 question

Hey Nolan.

Thanks for your feedback!

If I'm reading documentation, my assumption is that tab would be a
navigation control, not that it would start reading.

Agreed. But to be sure we're on the same page, if you'll pardon the pun,
the situation is this: Tab is indeed a navigation means. What you are
Tabbing to in this particular case is an object which contains both a
link and (potentially) descriptive text. The entire multi-object thing
gets focus, as indicated not only by the accessible event but also by
the dotted focus rectangle which surrounds the object.

As for the descriptive text, it might be short (as in the case of the
Orca docs) but it might not be. It is whatever the document writer chose
to specify as the page's description. A one paragraph summary could
potentially be included. I had some of those in the very early days of
the documentation re-write and augmentation. In the end, I kept the
descriptive text short in the Orca documentation for two reasons:

1. When you Tab amongst the items in Yelp 2, we read the full text. At
the time I wrote the documentation, I had not come to the conclusion
that I would make this tweak for Yelp 3. And long descriptions made for
really chatty Tabbing. :-(

2. It looks prettier. <grins> Yes, I know that is silly in terms of
documentation for users who are blind. But for sighted trainers, sighted
app developers wishing to test the accessibility of their app, etc., one
should not discount the value of pretty-looking docs. <shrugs>

What you will find as more modules convert their help content to mallard
and decisions are made about descriptions, I could not tell you.

Getting back to the original question, please forgive what might seem
like beating a dead horse, I just want to be sure everyone -- even those
without Yelp 3 -- fully understand what they are voting on.

Take care.
--joanie