Re: [orca-list] Orca on Red Hat Enterprise Linux (or CentOS)

I'm top posting in response, because I'm taking this off on a bit of a
tangent, but I need to say this.

I have nothing against products like RHEL. Yes, RHEL costs big bucks,
but there's a niche for the service that goes with it. Rock solid
reliability and support are the two key selling points, and it's worked
for Red Hat which has been a Wall Street success. That's good--everybody
needs food and shelter, etc.

However, all the commercial Linux industry has been missing in action on
accessibility for years.

So, I'm very serious about suggesting to all the people who post here
from time to time about products like RHEL. Take it to the support desk
your company paid for. Have them help, instead of this free support
list. At least do your due dillagence and but the support desk.

The idea of free software is sharing. It's not sharing when the big
dollars go to a commercial company but the users look to the unpaid
community to fix built in accessibility problems. That's quite the
opposite of sharing. It's looting, and it's time it stop.

Looting is also why I personally oppose products like Centos. A knock
off of RHEL, is it? So, Red Hat pays for the development, and Centos
takes a free ride? Let's stop pretending that's anything but what it is,
looting.

Janina

remnant of Sun left in Oracle. For awhile we had IBM, but they pulled

Trevor Saunders writes:
Hi,

that's the price you pay for reliability.

Well, that's the theory and part of the rationale for the big price. I'm not sure it's necessarily the
case at any
time or with any given Orca release, or with any given set of related
apps. For one thing, I don't believe Red Hat does any a11y testing. So,
If I'm correct then there's no basis whatsoever for such a claim--at
least not with respect to the AT components.

That was more a general reaction to people complaining about $DIStro not
having the latest and "greatest" software, not ment to be at all
specific to rhel.

So, you people with RHEL licenses -- Use the license. Call Red Hat for
tech support with Orca. Let's see how well they do. I'm willing to bet
some moola they're going to hem and haw.

yes, I've used rhel  with orca, I'm not claiming its much fun see my
first response to the question.

My bottom line -- RHEL ain't worth 2 cents when it comes to a11y.
But, that's just my 2 cents (American).

heh

Trev

Janina

Trev

Janina

Thanks,
Garry
Netiquette Guidelines are at

Janina Sajka,   Phone:  +1.443.300.2200
                sip:janina asterisk rednote net

Chair, Open Accessibility       janina a11y org
Linux Foundation                http://a11y.org

Chair, Protocols & Formats
Web Accessibility Initiative    http://www.w3.org/wai/pf
World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)