Re: [orca-list] Firefox caching

So can I just check, does this mean orca will still directly access the page rather than virtual buffers (or whatever you want to call it), but just offer an additional layout mode?

I would have to say that the direct access to the page seems to work far better than my experience with windows screen readers using virtual buffers (many of the reasons given, the main one being how orca handles dynamically changed pages) and so I would not like to see the current behaviour of orca change.

If my understanding is right, I would say to those who say why would anyone want one link per line, I don't know but are we here to ask them why? If there's a demand for a given presentation then why not have it as an option particularly if it won't affect your preferred presentation?

Regarding performance of orca and firefox, I wonder if some of the problem really comes from some of the work arounds and checking has to do because of firefox issues. I am partly basing this idea on how other screen readers which don't use virtual buffers perform (I believe voiceover and the firevox plugin both don't use virtual buffers) and I guess another clue to potential performance with direct access can be judged by how orca performs with webkit (I think I have seen messages which suggest webkit behaves better and may need less checking by orca).

Also virtual buffers won't solve all gecko performance problems, eg. in thunderbird when you have many messages (eg. 1000) in a folder orca is slow to respond in that list and virtual buffers would not be used there.

Michael Whapples