Re: [orca-list] Text after <a /> is presented as a link

Am 03.09.2010 14:16, schrieb Mallory van Achterberg:
Hi Marcus,
Re the meta tag: with that alone, you cannot set the MIME type for
the page. User agents can and will ignore meta tags and let the
server override with HTTP Headers (this is also true with the charset).
If you really want the page to be XHTML, you'll have to set it that way
on the server or with HTTP Headers.

I was thinking that's the job of this meta tag. On the server site I
can't make changes.

However, be aware this means Internet Explorer will not display the page, but
will ask the user to either download it or open in another application
(because while it understands XML, it does not recognise XHTML correctly).

Exact. That was the reason I have added the meta tag twice before and
changed it back.

For this reason, I've stopped writing any new pages in XHTML, and just
stick to HTML4.01 Strict.  If you want stricter validation from the
w3c validator (validator.w3.org), you can tell it to pretend the page is
XHTML1.0 Strict and get useful error messages there.  This is what I use
to catch errors like my bad closing anchor tags as I couldn't for the
life of me figure out what the heck Firefox was doing <smile>.

The first version of the site was using features that are included in
XHTML Transitional only. And then I was too lazy to change everything to
HTML. :-)

But the empty anchor tag wasn't reported as error from the validator.
Only the marquee tag was reported, because it's sort of IE feature.

Also, if your named anchor is supposed to be a destination for a skip link,
I've discovered a few browsers won't move the focus there with the anchor
the way you've got it written.  Internet Explorer 8 seems to want an href
attribute (I set mine to the same as the skip link's to avoid problems),
whle Opera requires there is text content inside the anchor (but that content
can be a single space character, which works for me).

Currently I have created a simple anchor/link with hidden text
(font-size: 0%). It's not optimal, but it works.

Greetings
Marcus