Re: [orca-list] A thunderbird issue

Hey Jacob.

Thanks for the clarification.

What I mean is that, if the message body area can be identified

It can. No problem.

would it be possible to ignore all text inserted events for that control

Sure.

and if that was done what would be the result?

Keyboard echo would no longer function for one thing.

How does the text inserted event get used exactly?

Depends on the environment. In an editable text widget, we do things
like echo. Elsewhere (e.g. chat client), that's where we get and present
an incoming message, add it to the stored history, etc.

 Is it used when you type into the message body area

Yup.

or just
when the new text appears in the control by some other means?

That too. Scripts examine the event, the surrounding circumstances, user
preferences, etc. and then decide what, if anything, should be done.
Thus to catch this case, we'd have to uniquely identify the unwanted
events.

Again, I could probably come up with some sort of heuristic based on
surrounding events, event times, etc., but it would be a hack. My
preference would be that the Mozilla guys stop with the unnecessary text
inserted events.

HTH. Take care.
--joanie