Re: [orca-list] orca and lxde

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 07:54:26PM +1100, Jason White wrote:
My guess is that at-spi-registryd isn't running. You need to configure lxde to

Here is output from ps, just after I invoke orca.

daniel debian-hp:~$ ps aux|grep at-spi
daniel   27104  0.1  0.4  15360  5088 ?        S    20:14   0:00
/usr/lib/at-spi/at-spi-registryd
--oaf-activate-iid=OAFIID:Accessibility_Registry:1.0 --oaf-ior-fd=18

I suspect this means at-spi is being started correctly? Or is there
something that doesn't look right. BTW, I just used speech-dispatcher as
my default synth for orca and speech is back again, but with the same
problem: "Welcome to orca." is all that is spoken.

start it, and you may also have to set some environment variables to ensure
that GTK+ applications use the accessibility API. I can't remember the

Where could I look to figure out what environment variables?

There's probably a startup file somewhere in which you can run
at-spi-registryd and enable accessibility support.

Hmm, looks like at-spi is already running from what I write above.
I am also planning to try this, but I haven't had time so far, due to other
priorities - and I'm travelling to Wellington in a few days to attend

Yes, my main motivation was that it'll probably run better than gnome on
an eee pc if I choose to go that way for school.

linux.conf.au 2010.

Have fun.

Thanks for your help,
Daniel.