Re: [orca-list] Recommendation of Linux for Windows and Mac switchers

Michael Whapples <mwhapples aim com> wrote:
In short I would say, it depends very much what you wish to get out
of Linux, are you switching for the right reasons?

If the reason is purely, I don't like all this costly software on
windows, I want a free (as in cost) replacement, then no Linux will
not satisfy the user as its not a direct drop in for windows.

If the view is more open to change and the user wants to learn about
a new system so they can make the most of the linux environment,
then its probably good for them.

I agree. I would also note that there are only certain types of applications
that really require an X11 graphical environment at the moment, for example,
browsing Javascript-intensive Web sites (Firefox) and editing documents in
office formats (Openoffice.org). these are not the only such cases.

Linux has been on my desktop and on my laptop, exclusively, for longer than
Orca has existed. It can certainly fulfill the need, including the
accessibility need, unless one has specialized requirements for which suitable
tools aren't available. For what I do, it's perfectly adequate and indeed
preferable to the alternatives from my perspective.

For anyone who has used a version of UNIX before or who wants to learn such a
system, it's great. For people who don't want to learn something new and
different, and this applies to any change of software or any change of
operating system, then don't bother. However, those who have the knowledge
will always be at an advantage in regard to skills, self-empowerment,
and technological independence; and Linux can be great fun to learn, too.