Re: [orca-list] feature request: disable live regions globally

Steve Holmes <steve holmes88 gmail com> wrote:

I like the idea of having the option to turn live regions on or off
and have the value saved permanently.

How should this interact with the politeness level specified in the
aria-live attributed? For example, it might be best to turn off all but
assertive live regions. I haven't checked whether Orca implements the
politeness levels currently, but it probably does.

For speech users, I think this is a situation in which support for auditory
icons would ultimately be valuable. For braille displays, there doesn't seem
to be much of an option except to move the braille window temporarily to where
the update has occurred, or to a message asserting the presence of the update.

In general, I don't think the user requirements can be satisfied by a simple
on/off switch, due to the different politeness levels that the author of the
Web page can specify.