Re: [orca-list] feature request: disable live regions globally

Hi Jacob.

I'd like to put forward and idea for a feature request, and that is to
have an option in Orca's Firefox preferences dialog to globally disable
all live regions by default. Of late, I'm finding that most web pages I
visit use these for annoying statistics counters that are always
updating and seriously get in the way if they aren't turned off. I can't
actually think of one page that has used such live regions in a useful
way. As such, I always end up disabling them with shift-backslash anyway.

What does everyone think?

Once a consensus is reached, if you'll summarize the conclusions
(including what the default/initial value of this setting should be) in
a new RFE in bugzilla, I'd be happy to implement it.

Independent of the above "just get the blessed counters to shut the heck
up," it might also be interesting to see if we can heuristically
identify counters and ignore them even when live regions are enabled. If
you agree, that would be a separate RFE.

Take care.
--joanie