Re: [orca-list] A Big Thanks and 2 Questions

Hello,

Kerneels Roos <kerneels gmail com> wrote on Fr, Okt 16, 2009 at 12:09:16 +0200:
Great to hear there are other orca + cli + vim users out there! Yeah, it
would be great if gvim could be made accessible with orca I agree. Where
would one start i.e. is there a standard operating procedure or HOWTO
explaining how to make apps accessible?
I guess one could look at the at-spi sources, because this is the point where
Orca get its information. But I haven't looked into it so far.

Sebastian, do you use some vim + orca features which makes vim in the
cli function better than the standard configs?
I don't use the vim in the GNOME terminal very often. When I write something
bigger then 20 lines I switch to the real cli where I work with brltty and the
speech-dispatcher.

There are two main problems with Orca in the terminal. The first ist that the
first of the terminal line isn't read correctly. I don't know how to solve
this, but if you are with the cursor at the second letter it works fine.
The other problem is if you are at the last line of the terminal and you go
down one line, orca starts reading the new appearing line and also all the
stuff from the beginning of the screen. That's because Orca reads always new
text. When the vim scrolls down, all the text on the terminal changes and Orca
starts reading it. This is sometimes   horrible. I don't know how to solve it
because it is important that new text is read by the screenreader and Orca
can't know that this text is only new because of the scrolling.
I think it's also possible to get the programs name from the GNOME Terminal
and then disable in Orca the autoread (in a script), but this isn't a nice
solution.

Perhaps I should open a bug for this, if there isn't one. My Orca is 2.22 and
very old. Maybe I find the time to get a newer one.

Sebastian