[orca-list] Confirmed archlinux gdm strangeness

Hi All,
I'm just writing to confirm Steve's previous messages about gdm 2.28 on
ArchLinux.
Before 2.28, I used to get a beep when the login window popped up.  That
was sufficient for me to type my username and password.  Since this
upgrade, I haven't gotten that helpful cue.
More to the point, I admit to being unsure how I'm supposed to configure
this new version of gdm.  I didn't need to make any changes to the old
one.  /etc/gdm/custom.conf isn't very enlightening.
Might anybody familiar with gdm 2.28 and/or arch be able to explain
this?
Thanks much,
Zack.