Re: [orca-list] Off-topic Messages (was Re: ubuntu on vista machine)

Hi Jacob:

Ideally, everyone would read the WIKI, the Manual, the FAQ, and the Netiquette guidelines. It's not like these things are hidden - they are posted at the bottom of every message sent to this list.

It's just a fact of life that we're going to always be dealing with people who'd rather take other people's time to get their answers rather than do research themselves. I wish http://lmgtfy.com/ (Let Me Google That For You) were accessible since it is a wonderful passive aggressive way to respond to people who don't have a clue.

As a moderator of this list, I don't have the time to moderate every single message coming through. I would be a severe bottleneck and would probably only get to the messages once a day. This would hurt on-topic discussion. As a member of this list, however, I have the same ability everyone else does, which is to IGNORE OFF TOPIC MESSAGES -- DELETE THEM -- DON'T RESPOND TO THEM. Or, if you are feeling remotely helpful, just respond by pointing the user to a more appropriate mailing list. Once you help someone with an off topic message, you're sunk. It's like feeding a dog scraps off the table.

Will