Re: [orca-list] ubuntu on vista machine

Is the computer setup in the bios to boot from cd?

ashley
----- Original Message ----- From: "michael weaver" <weavermicha googlemail com>
To: <orca-list gnome org>
Sent: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 10:39 PM
Subject: [orca-list] ubuntu on vista machine

i have recently bought a new laptop.
it is a toshiba, running windows vista, not sure of the model
unless i can find sighted assistance to tell me.
i tried to run the latest ubuntu from the live cd but nothing
seems to happen.
the drive churns away a few times and then stops.
i tried alt f2 and typed orca but got no speech and on one
occasion i pressed enter after the cd drive had stopped spinning
and it just launched vista.
could anyone possibly tell me how i can get around this problem
as i am the only member of my family who is willing to use linux.
it is problems like this where a fully sighted girlfriend would
come in handy as regards knowing what is going on on the screen.
unless the jaunty cd doesn't recognise some of my new laptop
hardware, the only thing i can think of is that my cd drive is
not set up to run during the boot stage so it is not running the
cd automatically to bring up ubuntu which was not a problem on my
compaq presario 140.
i have heard about this tool called wubi.  would this tool get
around the problem ie could i possibly run the live cd and maybe
even install ubuntu from within vista itself?