Re: [orca-list] Math on Orca

> Message: 1
> Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 14:06:40 +0100
> From: Michael Whapples <mwhapples aim com>
> Subject: Re: [orca-list] Math on Orca
> To: Orca-list gnome org
>
> Hello,
> Firstly good to hear that some one else who uses maths is contacting
> developers of their screen reader about gaining access to maths. There's
> a few points to cover here:
>
> Orca isn't great with maths. One feature it could do with is mathml
> support for maths in webpages as those on windows can gain some access
> to mathml in internet explorer. However this needs more than orca fixes,
> firefox I believe doesn't reveal the information orca needs. Side note:
> have you considered using the firevox plugin to make firefox self
> voicing, it seems to have some mathml support (although I found it
> wasn't as good as mathplayer and internet explorer on windows).
>
> You specifically mentioned PDF containing maths, these are particularly
> bad for any screen reader. For PDF to work alot of work needs to be done
> and when maths is involved you are best advised to try and contact the
> author for an alternative format. Should you have no success, then there
> are some commercial offerings on windows which may be able to help (I
> won't go into detail on list here as windows stuff is off topic, either
> contact me off list or look at some of the links I will provide below).
>
> If your used to using linux this suggestion for writing maths may suit
> you well, have you considered the LaTeX typesetting language? Most linux
> distributions either come with LaTeX installed or have it available in
> their package manager system, so getting a working LaTeX environment
> should be easy. Why is LaTeX so good? Its plain text based, so use
> whatever editor you like and so you can gain perfect access to the
> source document. You use commands in the text to insert more complicated
> notation/structures and there are many packages for many different types
> of documents. When you want to print your document, you use the LaTeX
> software to compile it into a format like PDF, and providing you used
> the LaTeX correctly you will have a professional looking document. The
> only problem with the last bit is, if you are really concerned about
> perfection, it can be hard to confirm the precise output being produced,
> but when you are familiar with LaTeX and read errors and warnings when
> compiling these situations should be few and far between.

I  personally like the latex + tex4ht + liblouisxml combination.

After I weedled out all the errors with latex itself and get a compilable document, I use mzlatex (provided with tex4ht) to produce an html/xhtml doccument with embedded mathml.  Then I run the html doc through xml2brl (obtained with the liblouisxml package) to make a .brl file that I can read withmy braillenote.  Being able to proofread the final doccument in G2 + nemith, UEB or NUBS, in my opinion, is a valueable experience before handing in a final submission--for those who are profissiant with braille anyhow.

It can be a lengthy process at times, but it works for me.  It won't work for everyone.  You can try it if you want.