Re: [orca-list] IAccessible2 and Orca

Hi Isaac:

It originated in Windows as you said (not Microsoft) IAccessible2 is mentioned in the Linux context here:
 http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/Accessibility/IAccessible2/Overview

And here in the context of multi platform accessibility API:
http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/Accessibility/IAccessible2/Overview

I worked with the folks doing IAccessible2 to make sure there was parity between the AT-SPI and IAccessible2 API's. So, they are remarkably similar. The benefit of this is that applications/toolkits wishing to support both AT-SPI and IAccessible2 have a bit less work to do.

The reason I got interested is because I have tried Lotos Symphony (only the
second application that support it fully on Windows as far as I know) and it
works mostly well out of the box although the screen readers used JAWS and
NVDA do not support it specifically as such - would it not be efficient to
get cross platform accessibility?.

I've always liked the idea of a cross platform API, and I've mentioned this for the past two decades I've worked in this space. The reality, however, is that it's going to take a while (if ever) to get there. The problem is that there is already a significant investment in supporting existing API's. Asking everyone (AT vendors, toolkit providers, application developers, etc.) to retool everything for a common API is a difficult thing to swallow, as would be the idea of spending years of design-by-committee time to get people to agree to something.

Will