Re: [orca-list] Tieman Voyager does not work

On 07.09.2008 at 14:51:06 "Michael Jeukendrup" <mi jeukendrup wxs nl> wrote:

Hello,

I tried to install a Tieman voyager (braille Terminal) in Ubuntu. It doesn't
work.

What means "install a Voyager"?
There is brltty, which comes with a driver for Voyager.

My  Tieman Voyager has a usb port.
By starting Ubuntu or installing Ubuntu  the auto-detection doe'sn't work.

Which Ubuntu? I guess Hardy; in this case there's no autodetection by
the installer.
After installation, log in to a text console and type:
sudo brltty
Does this work?
If not, then try:
sudo brltty -b vo -d usb:
If you use a different braille table than the US one, you should append
the following to the above command:
-t xx
where "xx" is the two letter code for your braille table. (Recently I
learned that in the Netherlands you use the German table. If this is
right, then use "de" without the quotes).
[...]
As a visually impaird starter in Linux it is very complicated for me to find
and edit the configf file.
Can somebody help me with a procedure or a solution to find and edit the
configg gile  in text console?

If Orca runs with speech, you can open a Gnome terminal and then type:
sudo gedit /etc/brltty.conf
Read through the file. The comment lines tell you how to use it.
Hermann