Re: [orca-list] Tieman Voyager does not work

Please use the "reply to all" button in your mailer, in order to reply to the list.
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 13:18:13 +0200

On 16.09.2008 at 11:26:46 "Michael Jeukendrup" <mi jeukendrup wxs nl> wrote:

Hello  Herman,

A little report:
I tried to install the braille Tieman Voyager (usb) with the next command in
the text console.
sudo brltty -b vo -d usb:
It works in the text console.

Does Orca start with braille too?

Itreid to save this in the brltty.conf but i think didn't succeed.

Why not, did you check the file?
What happens when you type:
sudo brltty
on a console?

By restarting the computer my braille terminal Voyager does not work.

Type on a console:
sudo update-rc.d brltty defaults
and check the screen echo. If you read, that there is already a startup
link, type:
sudo update-rc.d -f brltty remove
and then
sudo update-rc.d brltty defaults
Reboot your machine. Is Brltty there?
If not, check the file /etc/default/brltty and set it to "yes".
Reboot and check again.

I think the problem of installing is basicly the problem of this type of
braille terminal. This braille terminal has an usb connection but it does
not work like an hid usb connection (It is not hot swappable).

What do you mean with that? I use an Alva Satellite 544 connected via
USB, and it wokrs.

When ubuntu is working you can see the terminal on the list usb connections
with the
command lsusb.

That's clear, because the system detected it as plugged hardware. Detection and
proper setup are two different stories.

Maybe the solution can be found  in the sewuence of starting ubuntu.
Ithink ubuntu works at the momnet in this way.
Boooting, detecting serial ports, then starting brltty, then detecting usb
ports.
That can mean that brltty is already running before my braille terminal is
detected.
Do you know how i can solve this problem and make acces to my braille
terminal?

See the steps above.
Hermann