Re: [orca-list] date and time as well as system administration with orca?

Hi Will,

On Wed, 7 May 2008, Willie Walker wrote:

- Can someone attach their orca-customizations.py script so I can have a hotkey for date and time? I don't have braille so its hard to check the indentation and it doesn't seem to say the time after following the instructions on the orca site.

I just cut/pasted the exact code from the "How I can customize Orca so it can speak / braille current date and time information with a keyboard command??" question of the FAQ:

http://live.gnome.org/Orca/FrequentlyAskedQuestions

It works for me. So, I suspect maybe you might have some syntax errors or something in your file. :-(

Indeed, I really need braille back... :-)
I used shift down arrow in firefox to highlight the code, ctr + c to copy the selection and pasted straight into gedit, when launching orca it brought up the preferences...

Anyway, its working, but I'll see what I was doing wrong.

- How do I setup sysadmin?
I read that a ~/.orbitrc file must be created? Is this correct? (for root)
Then what lines should it contain?
(and how should the indentation be?)
I had trouble with the instructions from the website again, and would like to be able to use my graphical desktop more often.

http://live.gnome.org/Orca/SysAdmin has the instructions, but they might not be concise enough if you're skimming. In a nutshell, assuming you're using Ubuntu:

I'm a debian user. Anyway, I'm really sorry, I should have kept reading, the problem was with sudo, a line just had to be changed.
Similar to what you were saying, but not exactly the same.
Sorry, next time I'll pay more attention... :-)

2) Edit "/etc/sudoers" to add the following line after the line with "env_reset" in it. Again, spelling/punctuation/case are important and I believe it needs to be *after* the "env_reset" line:

This was the problem, but this line didn't exist.

Defaults env_keep+="GTK_MODULES"

Yes, a line similar to this with out the gtk stuff existed, I commented this out and pasted this one in.
I think it is also good to use visudo as root.

Hope this helps,

It did, thanks.
And sorry again for skimming! :-)

--