Re: [orca-list] Ubuntu Hardy Install Instructions (Re: updating wiki?)

am Fr 02. Mai 2008 um 17:45:35 schrieb Willie Walker <William Walker Sun COM>:
Hi Hermann:

Are you running the installer from the live mode, or are you running the
installer from the boot screen?  I've found that running the installer
from live mode doesn't work well.  Instead, you need to select the
"Install Ubuntu" option from the initial boot screen.  This is step #4
in the terse notes that I wrote, and it might be easy to miss.  If
you're already doing this, then you and I must have different hardware
configurations where it works for me, but not for you.  :-(

I used the Ubuntu installer and performed your steps. I've tested it on two
machines with the same results: Neither speech nor braille are their. I've
thought about hardware problems too, but I have different sound cards on my
machines, so which requirements should be their to make the installer run?
On both machines everything works as it should when booting into live mode,
so I'm confused why the installer isn't usable at all.
Note: I've tested Wubi too, and this seems to be an alternative, provided
you don't want to set up Linux in an originary partition. Wubi seems to be
fairly accessible.
One question: Can I use the image file on a FAT32 drive? I think no,
because the images need at least 4 GB, and FAT32 file systems are limited
to write files not more than 2 GB. However: What happens if one has no NTFS
partition or doesn't want to use it, because it is the Windows boot
partition?
Hermann