To: "Hermann" <meinelisten onlinehome de>
Cc: <orca-list gnome org>
Sent: Friday, May 02, 2008 4:35 PM
Subject: Re: [orca-list] Ubuntu Hardy Install Instructions(Re: updating wiki?)

Hi Hermann:

Are you running the installer from the live mode, or are you running the
installer from the boot screen?  I've found that running the installer
from live mode doesn't work well.  Instead, you need to select the
"Install Ubuntu" option from the initial boot screen.  This is step #4
in the terse notes that I wrote, and it might be easy to miss.  If
you're already doing this, then you and I must have different hardware
configurations where it works for me, but not for you.  :-(

BTW, my apologies to everyone -- I didn't have time to write up a short
introduction to Linux to describe what things like the tilde character
mean and how to create/edit files.  From the comments I've seen, I've
learned that there is still an extra level of Linux understanding that
is needed here. I'm sure Luke from the Ubuntu project is listening and
will work to improve things the next time around.

Regardless of the roughness around the edges, I still think Luke and
Ubuntu are to be commended for their work on an accessible install.  It
*is* good work.  We need to continue to be supportive of them and offer
constructive comments for how things can be improved.  I know I'm
watching and listening in preparation for Sun's work on an accessible
install for Open Solaris.

Thanks!

Will

Hermann wrote:
Hi,
just performed the steps Will has recommended: The same results as before,
when I performed the steps suggested by Luke (slightly different).
I use the final release of Hardy, but I don't think that makes a
difference.
The accessible installer is not accessible at all. That means Orca stays
silent, no braille display can be started, and the only operation I can do
is press Alt+Control+Delete to reboot the machine.
I must been in the installer, since the usual way, press Control+Alt+F1 to
start either Orca or a braille display did not work.
Note: I can use the CD in live mode.
What's going on here?
In addition I want to say that I miss the usual euphoric reactions when a
new Ubuntu is released, so I guess that the people are a little bit
disappointed with Hardy - just my feeling.
Hermann