Re: [orca-list] quality

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 09:05:46PM -0400, Christopher Moore wrote:
I too am occasionally frustrated at the perceived lack of progress in
certain areas, but much of this is due to ignorance on what is involved
in software development and testing.

In this case it is particularly complicated, since the desktop environment and
applications all need to support the accessibility APIs properly for Orca to
interact reliably with the user interface. This is why many of the probles are
not Orca bugs, but instead, bugs elsewhere that affect Orca.

Automated testing can help to prevent regressions to some extent.
In the commercial world, corporations meet deadlines by throwing an
unlimited number of extra boddies to get the job done.  This concept
doesn't apply to the open source
environment.

Correct, and neither does it apply to software development in general. New
developers need time to gain an understanding of the code, and adding more
people at the last minute is likely to make the problem worse rather than
better.

Still, I think Orca would benefit over the long term from having more
contributors.