Re: [orca-list] Orca 2.22.0 a bad regression

Hi Kenny:

Giving presentations and raising awareness is part of the development process. CSUN is typically our one time during the year to do this. These few short days also represent a time where the small distributed team can get together face-to-face to debug and do additional planning. It's also the one time during the year for us to interact with a large population of users and have valuable face-to-face conversations for problems specific to them. Furthermore, it also represents a time to interact with other technology developers to lay the grounds for more open source work.

There will always be deadlines and dates out of our control, and everything this year was kind of a "perfect storm" of such things: GNOME 2.22, Firefox 3 freezing, OpenOffice 2.4, CSUN, the GNOME Accessibility Outreach Program, etc. They all occurred right around the same time and they all demanded attention.

These deadlines where not only complex to handle from the program management perspective, but they were also very high stress because things outside our control often changed and introduced unexpected regressions very late in the game. When things outside our control broke (and they did), we would spend time to create detailed and informative bug reports for the offending components. We would then work with the other teams in a professional manner to resolve the issues quickly. We would also take the opportunity to provide patches for the other components if we were able to understand their code base. This kind of working pattern helped keep things moving forward in a constructive manner.

During this difficult period, our dedicated team worked around the clock, and I believe we were very responsive to problems people were posting. Unfortunately, we were not able to address them all. There are more deadlines for GNOME 2.22.x releases -- 2.22.1 on April 7, 2.22.2 on May 26, and 2.22.3 on June 20. If you provide details for the specific problems you are experiencing, we can move forward in a constructive manner to resolve them for future releases.

Thanks,

Will

Kenny Hitt wrote:
Hi.  I'm very disappointed with Orca 2.22.0  I'm trying to read several web pages with Firefox and having no
luck.
It looks like the only way to get access to Firefox back is to downgrade to Orca 2.20.  It does work there.
These aren't complicated pages.  At this point, you can't even read the Gnome user guide with Firefox and
Orca 2.22.0.
What makes this really bad is it appears Orca developers knew Firefox access was broke, but they released it
any way and then left for the week.
Showing off new things at a conference is good, but what about your user base?  Like it or not, you now have
users who depend on Firefox access.

          Kenny