Re: [orca-list] firefox - responsiveness and youtube accessibility

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 05:00:18PM +1000, Daniel Dalton wrote:
On Sun, 20 Apr 2008, Jason White wrote:

If I run Orca, navigate the desktop, start gnome-terminal and check the CPU
speed of the laptop, I find that it remains at 800mhz, which is the slowest
setting.

How did you do this? With top?
I check ram with free -m...

aptitude install cpufrequtils
cpufreq-info
should give you this information.

I am using CPU frequency scaling, and have chosen the "on demand" governor,
which varies the CPU speed according to the current load. Sometimes in
Firefox, it moves up to 1.6ghz, still less than the 1.8ghz maximum.

So does it just basically tell you how much cpu is being used?

It basically varies the CPU speed depending on how much is being used.
To obtain more information about CPU load and i/o activity, install sysstat
and read the manual pages of the various utilities. Sar is a useful tool with
which to begin.

This should help you to track down any performance problems related to Orca,
if they aren't evident from memory usage and other details obtainable with
top, free and other tools.