Re: [orca-list] eSpeak, Speech-dispatcher, Orca and voice variations in Gutsy

On 20 Nov, Hermann <meinelisten onlinehome de> wrote:
Male and feemale voices seem not to be implemented in Espeak, I
cannot find them in the espeak.conf, however in espeak-generic.conf;
but I couldn't change them too. The only feemale voices I found in
Espeak stand-allone were mbrola-voices, but one has to install
mbrola and the language databases in order to use it.

eSpeak makes "female" voices by changing some synthesis parameters.
These are contained in "Voice variant" files (in espeak-data/voices/!v).

Add the variant name to the voice name, eg. "en+f2" is a female version
of the "en" voice.  Voice variants can be used with any language.

So:
  espeak -v en+f2 "hello world"

should speak with a female voice, or at least a higher pitch voice,
whether it sounds female probably depends on how good is your
imagination.

Versions eSpeak which are earlier than version 1.29 use a number rather
than a name for the voice variant.

  espeak -v en+12 "hello world"

Male and female variants are:
  m1  m2  m3  m4  m5   f1  f2  f3  f4

(or for older versions of eSpeak,
  1  2  3  4  5  11  12  13  14 )

Other voice variants in eSpeak 1.29 are "croak" and "wisper".