Re: [orca-list] systemrequirements for orca?

Halim Sahin writes:

I am running orca on a machine with 2 GB ram and with a Pentium 4 with 2400
MHz.

My Problem is, that orca does not respond very fast in some cases.
While I've happily run Orca on a 1Gb cpu and 5400 rpm hd with 1Gb RAM, I
also had another machine that was sluggish with Orca, though its specs
were more like what you describe. I don't think it follows that the
specs are the issue, or even that Orca is the issue. There are many
things that can cause a system to go sluggish. Some ideas to look at:

1.)     uptime
        This command will give you stats on system load. That number
should generally be quite low--under 1.0.

2.)     free
        Tells you about memory usage. You want to see at least
reasonable space available in swap.

3.)     top
        This lovely utility provides a list of running proccesses
ordered by system utilization. The one using the most is on top in the
pid list. You will need to use scroll-lock with top to give you time to
examine the screen.

Note that the above three may run better in a console with Speakup.

4.)     Under System / Preferences / Sessions
        Remove things you don't need. For instance I remove bluz from my
Gnome Sessions, because I have no BlueTooth devices that I use with
Gnome.

Janina