Re: [orca-list] speech-dispatcher works but needs manual start every time for orca.

Hi,
the dir /var/run/speech-dispatcher has the owners "Speech-dispatcher"
and "audio".
It should stay.
I suggested to change the user in /etc/init.d/speech-dispatcher, because
in my case I had to do this. This does not mean at all, that other must
do that.
To set everything back to standards do:
dpkg-reconfigure speech-dispatcher
as root.
Reboot you machine and then do:
ps aux |grep speech-dispatcher
to see if it has been loaded. If that's the case do:
spd-say "textstring"
Do you hear your text?
If everything is OK, don't change it!
If not, change the user in start up script, and make sure, that everyone
can execute it.
It must also be owned by root exclusively.
Type
ls -l speech-dispatcher
to check all that.
And please do this before asking further questions.
If everything works as expected, set up Orca with SD, an not before.
And one final note: As Tomas explained again and again, you cannot set
up punctuation in Orca. SD doesn't support it, and till now it is also
impossible in the SD config files. The very same is true for rate, pitch
and volume (the latter 3 you can, however, set up in the config files of
SD). This are tasks for coming versions. Please do read Tomas' mails
regarding SD, if you are interested in that app.
Hermann