Re: Orca a few things regarding orca + firefox 3 in feisty

Hi Hermann:

regarding the headings problem:
It seems not to be a Feisty issue, it also happens in FF 3 under Edgy;
even worse: I must tab through teh Heise start page to find any
headings. This also happens on other pages, for example in the news
feeds of the Frankfurter Rundschau:
http://www.f-r.de/rss/nachrichten/index.xml

I took a look at this page and was able to navigate around in an expected way, using FF3 from March 1 and Orca from svn trunk. I might be missing something, though.

Can you describe more about what your experience is with this page? For example, what keys are you typing, what's the bad behavior you are seeing, and what good behavior do you expect?

Regarding the Orca cursor mode: It acts as if the caret browsing is
turned on, I can't see any difference, so why was it implemented? You

Firefox's built-in caret navigation is unreliable on many pages. I don't like the fact that it is this way, and have continually voiced my opinion rather strongly with the Firefox folks in public e-mail, private e-mail, and bug reports. The good news is that I think they care and are starting to pay attention. The bad news is that I don't see things being fixed appropriately any time soon. It's unfortunate and I'm not happy about the situation for many reasons.

As a result, we are forced to try to do something in Orca to remedy the problem. Because we need to query the document model remotely via the AT-SPI, we are going to have a performance hit.

Keep in mind that we classify navigation in two ways: caret navigation and structural navigation. In it's simplest form, caret navigation is where you use the arrow keys to move around text. It's a relatively localized form of navigation and doesn't really require any knowledge of the type of content in the page. Firefox's implementation of this has issues, so we need to provide our own.

Structural navigation has some knowledge of the content, and allows you to navigate in bigger logical chunks than caret navigation. For example, Firefox has support for the "Tab" key to let you jump between text areas, links, form controls, etc. Orca extends this to provide the ability to jump between headers, logical chunks, etc.

Two slightly differences in behavior I noticed on the news feeds of the
"Rundschau":
1: The gecko controlled cursor identifies headings, while the Orca
cursor doesn't; however you can jump from heading to heading, but they
are not announced.

I just tried this with Orca from svn trunk and FF3 from March 1 and didn't see the same problems. :-( Which versions of Orca and FF3 are you using? They're both kind of a moving target these days because we're all working hard on trying to improve the user experience.

Thanks for all your comments and questions, by the way.  They really help!

Will