Re: [orca-list] problem with brltty and Open Solaris

Hi Peter:

I use OpenSolaris with a Baum Vario 40 and a USB-to-serial dongle. The OpenSolaris information at http://live.gnome.org/Orca/Braille reflects what I do on OpenSolaris to get the display working.

With Open Solaris i have tried to start Brltty with and without a SU Root with the only succes that the display gives the message No Screen.

This is probably actually good news -- it looks like BrlTTY is actually working, but Orca is not able to connect to it. This could be that either the Python bindings are not installed or the BrlAPI permissions won't let Orca get to the display.

For Brltty i have tried the following commands in the Gnome-Terminal:

brltty -bvo -xno -p usb: -A -n keyfile=none

From the page above, I use the following command on OpenSolaris:

  brltty -d /dev/term/0 -bauto -xno -p none -A auth=none -n

You might want to try adding -A auth=none to your command line. Based on a 'man brltty', I'm also not quite sure "-p usb:" is the right thing to be doing: "-p" is for setting up the audio device.

To check the bindings of Python i have used the folloging command:

python -c "import brlapi"

If this produces no errors, then the lack of Python bindings for BrlAPI is probably not the problem. I suspect it might be the "-A auth=none" thing.

Hope this helps,

Will