Re: [orca-list] easiest way to update drivers

Hello,
On Mo, Apr 16, 2007 at 09:33:59 -0400, Janina Sajka wrote:
The necessary sophistication is present on Linux via alsa. The problem
is that our various speech engines continue to talk oss, and that's
going to continue to be a problem until they stop doing that.

The main problem of the speechsolutions are that they can work
with alsa over the oss-emulation stuff without changing everything.

PS: Once reason sometimes given for not changing is that oss provides
support across OS. In other words, the oss based engines will work on
Solaris and Aix, as well as Linux. To my mind this is not an acceptable
response, because the end user is still denied proper functionality.

Do other OS's don't have the problem with
softmixing stuff?

Janina

Halim